Homemade Pizza with Roasted Veggies and Fresh Mozzarella
Start with your favorite homemade pizza dough, or store bought pizza dough found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. One pound of dough will make two 12" thin crust pizzas or one thick crust (we made a thick crust). Roasted bell peppers and mushrooms are paired with marinated artichoke hearts and topped with fresh mozzarella cheese to make a better-for-you pizza.
- 1 pound White Whole Wheat Pizza Dough homemade or fresh dough from grocery store
- 1 Red Bell Pepper cut in half
- 8 ounces Mushrooms mixed or any type, sliced
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 cups Onion diced
- 2 tablespoons No Salt Added Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 (6-ounce) jar Marinated Artichoke Hearts drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour for dusting
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 8 ounces Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Place a Pizza Stone in bottom third of oven.
Roast the Veggies:
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place bell peppers, cut side down, on one side of baking sheet and the mushrooms on the other side. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss the mushrooms to coat and rub the oil on bell peppers.
- Roast in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender and slightly browned. Stir at least once. Remove from oven. Transfer pepper to cutting board and chop.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped peppers, mushrooms, and artichokes. Set aside.
Make the Sauce:
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook and stir 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Reduce heat if onions are browning too quickly.
- Stir in ¼ cup water, tomato paste, and the sugar. Cook and stir until the tomato paste is toasted and darker, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
Assemble the Pizza(s):
- On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll pizza dough into two 12" pizza rounds (thin crust) or one 14" pizza* round (thick crust).*optional
- For each pizza: Spread sauce to the edges, top with veggie mixture and parmesan cheese. Lay fresh mozzarella cheese slices on top.
- Transfer pizza, with parchment paper, to hot pizza stone and bake until crust is set, 3 to 5 minutes. Slide parchment paper out from under pizza. Continue baking until crust is browned and cheese is melted, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove pizza to a cutting board and cut into 8 slices.
Food Groups ***Meat = .5 serving, Starch = 2 servings, Vegetable = 1 serving, Fat = .5 serving
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Your comments and star ratings help me create recipes you will love.