Creamy Mushroom Chicken with Whole Wheat Penne
Super easy crockpot recipe with chicken and mushrooms that freezes well. Store in a one-gallon freezer bag for up to 3 months. When ready to serve just thaw chicken mixture completely and serve over prepared pasta.
- 1½ pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 envelope Italian Dressing Mix
- 6 ounces Less Fat Cream Cheese softened
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can Less Sodium Cream of Mushroom Soup such as Campbell's®Healthy Request
- 4 ounces Mushrooms sliced
- 12 ounces Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
Cook the Chicken in a Crockpot
- Place chicken breasts in crockpot and sprinkle with the Italian dressing packet. Top with mushroom slices. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Break apart cooked chicken in crockpot. Stir cream cheese and soup. Continue to cook for 30 minutes, or until cream cheese and soup are heated through.
Package for the Freezer
- Let cooked chicken mixture cool completely. Store in a one-gallon freezer bag. Squeeze out air. Label and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheat and Serve
- Thaw frozen chicken mixture overnight in refrigerator. Reheat in microwave for 10 minutes on 50% power in covered microwave safe dish. Alternative stovetop method: Reheat in a large saucepan over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.Meanwhile, prepare penne pasta according to package directions. Reserve ¼-cup of the pasta water and drain. Add pasta back to pot. Stir in reserved pasta water and heated chicken mixture.Divide chicken and pasta mixture evenly between 6 plates and serve hot.
Tip: Spread the extra cream cheese inside celery ribs for a quick snack. Picture: I added 1 cup of cooked peas just before serving.
Food Groups ***Meat = 3.5 servings, Grains = 2.5 servings
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Your comments and star ratings help me create recipes you will love.