Taco Mac and Cheese
A lighter, more healthy version of a popular boxed "helper" commonly found in your local grocery store. Your family will love the taco flavored ground beef surrounded by creamy, cheesy pasta shells.
- 1 (16-ounce) package Whole Wheat Pasta Shells
- 2 tablespoons Buttery Spread
- 1 pound 93% Lean Ground Beef
- 2 teaspoons Salt Free Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- 1 (10-ounce) can No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 cups 2% Milk
- 6 ounces Velveeta Queso Blanco cubed
- 3 ounces Reduced Fat Mexican Style Four Cheese Blend
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions without salt. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown ground beef until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Stir in the diced tomatoes, ½ cup hot water, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook 2 - 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Transfer meat mixture to a bowl.
- Wipe Dutch oven clean with a paper towel. Add butter and milk to pan. Bring to a simmer. Add Velveeta cubes and stir until melted. Add the shredded cheese blend; cook and stir until melted.
- Add the cooked pasta and meat mixture to cheese sauce in pan. Blend well and remove from heat.
Plate and Serve:
- Divide evenly between 8 plates and garnish with cilantro if desired.Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge; or freeze for up to 3 months.
Food Groups ***Meat = 1.5 servings, Starch = 2 servings
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Your comments and star ratings help me create recipes you will love.