Horseradish Flank Steak over Cauliflower-Potato Mash
Slow cooked flank steak with a slightly tangy onion gravy served over creamy cauliflower-potato mash. This dinner is elegant enough for company, or any special occasion.
- Multi Function Slow Cooker
Horseradish Flank Steak and Onion Gravy:
- 1 tablespoon Grapeseed Oil
- 1½ cups Red Onion sliced thin
- 1½ cups Onion sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon Garlic sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 2 pounds Beef Flank Steak cut into 4 pieces
- 1½ teaspoons Kosher Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ cup Unsalted Beef Broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Prepared Horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Water
Creamy Cauliflower-Potato Mash:
- 12 ounces Russet Potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (12-ounce) package Fresh Cauliflower Florets
- ½ cup 2% Milk
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
Slow Cook the Steak:
- Add oil to multicooker. Sauté the onions and garlic, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until onions are amber in color.
- Sprinkle beef with 1½ teaspoons of salt and ¾ teaspoon pepper. Remove half of the onions to a plate. Place beef on remaining onions in cooker. Spread the removed onions on top of beef. (Beef should be sandwiched between the onions.)
- Combine broth, Worcestershire sauce, and horseradish in a small bowl. Pour over onion and beef in cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove beef from cooker and let rest for 10 minutes. Rough shred the beef and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Skim fat from cooker. Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Add to cooking liquid in cooker and stir. Cook and stir on Sauté until sauce has thickened. Serve the sauce over the beef and cauliflower-potato mash.
Prepare the Cauliflower-Potato Mash:
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower to potatoes and cook 15 minutes, or until both are very tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- Add milk, butter, and minced garlic to same Dutch oven and heat over medium just until butter melts. Remove from heat and stir. Add drained potatoes back to Dutch oven and mash until smooth. Add reserved cooking liquid if needed until desired consistency is reached. Fold in 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
Plate and Serve:
- Place about 3 ounces steak on top of 3 ounces mash and serve with onion gravy.
Food Groups ***Meat = 2.5 servings, Starch = .5 serving, Vegetable = .5 serving
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Your comments and star ratings help me create recipes you will love.