Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
Classic dish you remember as a kid. No shortcuts here. Everything in homemade including the chicken broth and the dumplings. A little more time invested for a big flavor payoff.
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 (4-5 pounds) Whole Chicken giblets removed, cut in quarters
- 1 (32-ounce) box Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 3 cups Water
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 5 tablespoons Buttery Spread
- 2 cups Carrots cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups Celery cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1½ cups Onion chopped
- 5 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
For the Dumplings:
- 1¾ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Table Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 tablespoons Buttery Spread cold
- 1 tablespoons Freeze Dried Chives
- ¼ cup Low Fat Buttermilk
- ¾ cup 2% Milk
Cook the Chicken:
- Brown the chicken pieces in a large pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the broth, water, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.Remove chicken to a cutting board or bowl to cool. Strain cooking liquid into a separate large bowl. Discard solids and fat. Set aside.
Cook the Vegetables:
- Heat buttery spread in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add flour, Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the reserved cooking liquid until well combined. Stir in salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Add the Chicken:
- Remove the chicken meat from the bones and tear or cut into chunks. Discard bones and skin. Stir the chicken into vegetables. Cover and reduce heat to lowest possible temperature.
Make the Dumplings:
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the cold buttery spread and cut in with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in the buttermilk, milk, and chives just until a thick dough forms.Increase heat on Dutch oven to medium. Drop spoonful of dough into the mixture, about 8 balls. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until dumplings are firm and cooked in the middle.
Plate and Serve:
- Divide chicken and dumplings evenly between 8 bowls. Garnish with sliced green onions or more chives.
Food Groups ***Meat = 3 servings, Starch = 1.5 servings, Vegetables = .5 serving, Fat = 1 serving
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Your comments and star ratings help me create recipes you will love.