Most chili dogs are not healthy, but with the right ingredients we can enjoy a lower fat chili cheese dog that keeps the Saturated Fat at 3 grams which is less than half of most fast food dogs. Making your own Homemade chili sauce will result in better flavor and texture than canned chili with the added benefit of lower sodium. Choose turkey hot dogs with 1 gram or less of Saturated Fat and 350 milligrams or less in Sodium. Bread is almost always high in Sodium, but there are some better choices so look for buns with less than 220 milligrams of Sodium.
Lower Fat Chili Cheese Dogs
- 1 pound 93% Lean Ground Beef
- 2 cups Onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic crushed
- 1 (15-ounce) can No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Salt Free Chili Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Water
- 8 Turkey Hot Dogs cooked
- 8 Whole Wheat Hot Dog Buns
- 4 ounces Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Onion optional
Make the Chili:
- Brown beef, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir to breakup and cook until beef is no longer pink. Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder, pepper, and water. Bring to a boil. cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes.
Plate and Serve:
- Warm buns in microwave for 30 seconds. Top with cooked hot dog. Divide chili sauce evenly between each hot dog and top with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese.