Lower Fat Beefy Chili
Classic ground beef chili with no salt added tomatoes and beans. Top with fat free Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese for a hearty chili the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 cups Onion chopped
- 1 cup Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 3½ teaspoons Kosher Salt divided
- 3 tablespoons No Salt Added Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Salt Free Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 (28-ounce) cans No Salt Added Crushed Tomatoes undrained
- 2 cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans Reduced Sodium Pinto Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 (15-ounce) cans Reduced Sodium Dark Red Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup Fat Free Sour Cream
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir 5 minutes, or until onions are soft. Add garlic. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add ground beef and remaining 2½ teaspoons salt. Cook and stir 5-7 minutes, or until beef is crumbled and no longer pink.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and black pepper. Cook 1 minute over medium heat. Increase heat to high and stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a simmer. Add beans and continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir as needed until chili has thickened.
- Other chili toppings: fat free Greek yogurt, fat free cheddar cheese, jalapeno slices, chopped onions, or avocado.
- Leftovers can be packaged in 2-cup freezer safe containers. Freeze for up to 3 months, or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!