Low Sodium Four-Cheese Macaroni & Cheese
Recipe adapted from Diabetic Living, "The Ultimate Diabetes Cookbook" Who doesn't love mac and cheese? There is nothing more comforting than all that cheesy goodness on your plate. This version melds four different cheeses for a creamy sauce that is not loaded with a ton of sodium. Original recipe is a little higher than we would like for saturated fat so we used 1 tablespoon instead of 4 teaspoons unsalted butter which lowers the saturated fat 1 gram. We also like the fact that this recipe sneaks in butternut squash for added potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C. Change things up by swapping 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms in place of the butternut squash for another delicious version of macaroni and cheese.
- 1 (12-ounce) package Frozen Butternut Squash
- 8 ounces Whole Wheat Elbow Pasta
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 cup Fat Free Milk
- 2 tablespoons Semisoft Cheese with Garlic and Herbs such as Boursin®
- 3 ounces Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 3 ounces Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 ounces Muenster Cheese shredded
Roast the Squash
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray cooking spray in a 2-quart baking dish. Set aside.Cook pasta according to package directions (without salt), drain, and set aside.
- Line a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with cooking spray. Add cubed squash in a single layer and spray with cooking spray. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until squash is very tender. Remove from oven, cool, mash, and set aside.
Make the Cheese Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper until combined and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add milk, whisking until smooth. Cook and stir until mixture starts to get bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in semisoft cheese, squash, and pasta until well coated and cheese is melted.
Bake the Casserole
- Place half of the pasta mixture in prepared baking dish, top with half of mozzarella, half of cheddar, and half of Muenster. Repeat layers. Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Remove from oven.
Plate and Serve
- Recipe makes 8 servings. Place any extra servings in an airtight container for another dinner or lunch. Be sure to cool completely before placing in refrigerator or freezer. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Food Groups ***Grains = 1.5 servings, Dairy = 1 serving
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Your comments and star ratings help me create recipes you will love.