Light Chicken Chili
Original Recipe: American Heart Association Quick & Easy Cookbook.This is a hearty white chili with chicken, Great Northern beans, and diced green chilies. It is also a quick cooking chili at only 30 minutes from start to finish. Mashing half of the beans thickens the soup and gives you that "cooked all day" taste. There are several variations of this recipe on "The American Heart Association's" website, but this version from the book is simple and delicious.
- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic (jar)
- 2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 (4-ounce) can Diced Green Chiles
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon White Pepper or black is fine
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 (15½-ounce) cans No Salt Added Navy Beans or Great Northern beans
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook chicken and onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash one can of the beans with a fork until smooth. Stir mashed beans and remaining can of whole beans into simmered chili. Continue to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
Food Groups ***Meat = 2 servings, Legumes = 1.5 servings
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Your comments and star ratings help me create recipes you will love.