Grilled Jerk Chicken Drumsticks
Jerk seasoning usually consists of Allspice and Scotch Bonnet peppers. Our version is less spicy replacing the Scotch Bonnet peppers with Serrano peppers. Look for salt free Jerk Seasoning; or substitute with ½ teaspoon each of Allspice and Ground Cloves.
- Indoor Grill
- 1 Serrano Pepper cut into 3 pieces
- 3 Green Onions each cut into 3 pieces
- 1 tablespoon Dried Thyme
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- 2 tablespoons Light Brown Sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Jamaican Jerk Seasoning salt free
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 pounds Chicken Drumsticks skinless or trimmed
Make the Marinade:
- In a one gallon freezer bag, add the serrano pepper, green onions, canola oil, brown sugar, vinegar, jerk seasoning, and 1½ teaspoons Kosher Salt. Massage bag until sugar is dissolved. Add the chicken and seal bag. Massage marinade into chicken and refrigerate overnight. Turn bag over at least once during marinade time.
Grill the Chicken:
- Preheat grill to medium. Oil grates if needed. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place in a colander. Discard marinade bag. Remove any large pieces of serrano pepper or green onion. Season with salt and pepper.Grill, covered, turning often for 20-30 minutes, or until chicken is browned and cooked through.
Use skinless chicken thighs if you can't find skinless chicken drumsticks. The nutrition facts are about the same.
Food Groups ***Meat = 2 servings
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Your comments and star ratings help me create recipes you will love.