Classic Low Sodium Sloppy Joe
The Sloppy Joe you know and love just got better. This low sodium version tastes just like the good old fashion original. Only this Sloppy Joe is better for you.
- 1 teaspoon Dried Minced Onion
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Dry Mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Salt Free Chili Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 pound 93% Lean Ground Beef
- ½ cup Frozen Bell Pepper Strips chopped
- 1 cup 50/50 Ketchup (Low Sodium/Low Sugar)
- 2 tablespoon No Salt Added Tomato Paste
- 4 Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
Make the Spice Mix
- In a small bowl, combine the dry minced onion, garlic powder, dry mustard, chili powder, and black pepper. Set aside.
Cook the Sloppy Joe's
- Brown the ground beef and pepper strips over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Stir and break up meat as you cook. Drain drippings into a 2-cup glass measuring cup.Add ½-cup of the drippings back to meat in skillet. Turn heat back up to medium. Add spices and stir into meat for 2 minutes. Stir in the ketchup and reduce heat to low.Simmer for 30 minutes with lid slightly ajar.
Plate and Serve
- Toast buns as desired. Divide Sloppy Joe mixture evenly between the 4 buns and serve warm.
Food Groups ***Meat = 3 servings, Grains = 1.5 servings, Vegetables = .5 servings
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Your comments and star ratings help me create recipes you will love.