Chicken & Wild Rice Stew with Kale
This chicken stew is soooo good. It's filled with comfort veggies and hearty wild rice that's cooked low and slow in a crockpot. The perfect dinner on a chilly day.
- 2 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1½ teaspoons Dried Thyme
- 1½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 6 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 8 ounces Mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- 1 cup Celery chopped
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 1 cup Wild Rice
- ½ cup Dry Sherry not cooking sherry
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Garlic (jar)
- 1 (5-ounce) bag Tuscan Kale
- 1 cup Light Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
Cook Stew in a Slow Cooker
- Place chicken in crockpot. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper. Add mushrooms, carrot, celery, onion, rice, broth, sherry, and garlic. Stir to combine.Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
Finish the Stew
- With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken to a clean cutting board. Shred or chop the chicken and return to crockpot.Add kale, ½-cup sour cream, lemon juice, and remaining ½-teaspoon thyme.
Plate and Serve
- Divide stew evenly between 8 soup bowls. Top each bowl with 1 tablespoon sour cream.
Note on Picture: I used spinach in place of the kale because grocery store was out of any kale.
Food Groups ***Meat = 3.5 servings, Grains = 1 serving, Vegetables = 1 serving
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!