Chicken Orzo Casserole
Mediterranean style chicken thighs baked in the oven are a family favorite in our house. This also makes a great make-ahead meal for another dinner or lunch.
- 1 tablespoon Grapeseed Oil
- 1½ teaspoons Kosher Salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs 6 thighs
- 1½ cups Onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons Chopped Garlic (jar)
- 2½ cups Roma Tomatoes chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Quartered Artichoke Hearts drained
- 2 tablespoons Capers
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1½ cups Whole Wheat Orzo
- 1 cup Zucchini sliced
- 1½ cups Water
- 1 Lemon cut into 6 slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 X 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Brown the Chicken Thighs:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add to skillet and cook until browned, about 4 minutes each side. Remove from skillet.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, artichokes, capers, oregano, red pepper, and remaining ½-teaspoon salt. Cook and stir occasionally 5 minutes. Add wine and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir in orzo and zucchini. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Place chicken thigh on top, evenly spaced. Pour 1½ cups water over casserole mixture. Top each thigh with lemon slice. Cover with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 30 minutes, or until orzo is tender. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Plate and Serve:
- Divide chicken thighs and orzo mixture evenly between 6 plates and serve.
Add to Meal – 1 (5-count) Refrigerated Pillsbury Butter Tasting Flaky Layers Biscuits + 3 tablespoons buttery spread (we used Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread with Omega 3's) + any Jelly you like. Each serving gets ½ Biscuit plus ½ tablespoon each of buttery spread and any jelly.
Food Groups ***Meat = 2 servings, Starch = 1.5 servings, Vegetables = 2 servings
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Your comments and star ratings help me create recipes you will love.