Carnitas and Orzo in Red Mole Sauce
Carnitas aren't usually made into a casserole, but this one is like having fajitas in one easy dish. Which is why this casserole makes the perfect Meal Prep Meal.
- Roasting Pan with Rack
- 13x9-inch Baking Pan
- 1½ pounds Boneless Pork Shoulder Butt Roast
- 1½ teaspoons Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 8 ounces Whole Wheat Orzo
- 3 Bell Peppers any color, chopped
- 2 Jalapeno Pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ¼ cup Red Mole Sauce
- 2 tablespoons No Salt Added Tomato Paste
- 4 ounces Reduced Fat Cheddar Jack Cheese shredded
Roast the Pork:
- Place pork, fat side up, in a roasting pan with a rack. Sprinkle pork with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Bake at 325°F for about 1½ hours. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes. Trim fat and cut meat into ½ inch chunks. Set aside.
Make the Casserole:
- Cook orzo according to package directions without salt for al dente. Drain and set aside.Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until crisp tender. Remove from heat and stir in pork and orzo. Grease 13x9-inch baking pan and spoon mixture into pan.Whisk chicken broth, mole sauce, tomato paste, and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt in a small pan over medium heat. Cook and stir until bubbly and slightly thickened. Pour over mixture in 13x9-inch baking pan. Sprinkle cheese on top.Cover and bake in preheated 350°F oven for 40-45 minutes.
Plate and Serve:
- Divide mixture evenly between 8 plates and garnish with cilantro if desired.Package any leftovers in airtight containers. Store in refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Food Groups ***Meat = 1.5 servings, Starch = 1.5 servings, Vegetables = .5 serving, Fat = 1
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Your comments and star ratings help me create recipes you will love.